This information is provided by the candidate
I have exciting news to share! I have decided to run for State Assembly in the 28th District, and I am continuing to build a strong base of support from community leaders and voters across the district each week. I plan on working hard to earn each vote so that we will be victorious on June 8, 2010!
As you know, our state is in a major fiscal crisis that has already placed significant hardships on our families, schools, and communities. Now m ore than ever, we need a strong voice and proven leadership for our local communities in Sacramento. I have proudly served our communities in many different capacities, and have worked hard to make good improvements throughout the Monterey Bay area as a city councilmember, public interest attorney, and community activist. I also previously worked as a legislative aide in the State Assembly in Sacramento, which provided me with the insight and skills to be an effective representative for our area.
My other qualifications to serve as your assemblymember derives from a number of sources:
STRONG EDUCATION BACKGROUND:
- Law degree (juris doctorate) from UC Davis School of Law.
- Master's of education degree from Harvard University.
- Dual bachelor's of arts degrees from UC Berkeley. Honors graduate.
- Associate of arts degree from Gavilan Community College in Gilroy.
COMMUNITY & PUBLIC SERVICE:
- Staff Attorney with the Monterey County Superior Court.
- Staff Attorney with California Rural Legal Assistance. Providing free legal assistance to thousands of low-income residents.
- Worked as a legislative aide in Sacramento for Assemblymember Manny Diaz (D-San Jose). Obtained first hand experience in passing statewide laws, assisting constituents, working on budgetary issues, and working with different interest groups.
- Former alternative education high school teacher in Watsonville.
- Former research assistant for the Harvard Civil Rights Project in Cambridge, Massachusetts focused on education policy.
SERVICE AWARDS: My work has bee n recogniz ed through numerous awards, including:
- California Advisory Committee of the United States Commission on Civil Rights, 2001-2010.
- Member of the California State Bar Association & U.S. Federal Northern District Court Bar.
- Central CA Vice-Chair, Chicano Latino Caucus of the California Democratic Party, 2007-2010.
- 2008 National Delegate for Barack Obama for CD-17, National Democratic Convention.
- Santa Cruz County Democratic Central Committee, District 4 representative, 2004-2010.
- Former Vice-Chair of the Watsonville Planning Commission 2006-2008.
- Watsonville Library Board, 2005-2006.
- Watsonville General Plan Steering Committee, 2004-2006.
- Santa Cruz County Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention Commission, 2003-2006.
- English Learner Master Plan Task Force, Pajaro Valley Unified School District, 2007.
- City of Watsonville Blue Ribbon Committee for Sustainable Revenue + member, 2006.
- County Transportation Funding Task Force + member, 2007.
- Board of Directors, Salud Para La Gente Health Clinics - Director, 2004-2008.
- Board of Directors, White Hawk Indian Council - Director, 2005-2008.
- 2006 Pajaro Valley Voter Registration Project Director. Registered hundreds of voters.
- 2008 Leadership Santa Cruz County graduate.
- 2009 Focus Agriculture graduate.
With my education, background and experience, I hope to serve you as your assemblymember, and to continue working hard to make good changes for our state and local communities. But I cannot do it without you, and I respectfully ask for your support.
- 2009 Award of Merit, Legal Aid Association of CA & the CA Access to Justice Commission.
- 2008 John F. Kennedy Award for Outstanding Public Service by the CA Democratic Party.
- 2008 Tony Hill Community Service Award by UC Santa Cruz (Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation).
- 2006 Democratic Region 9 Volunteer of the Year.
- 2006 Santa Cruz County Democratic of the Year.
- 2004 United Way Community Hero Award.
- The Martin Luther King Community Service Award. UC Davis School of Law.
- The Association of Mexican American Educators Community Service Award.
Mayor, City of Watsonville
Democratic Candidate for State Assembly, 28th District