(Vote for 2)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Alexandra "Alex" Stillman
- Occupation: Historic Preservation Consultant
- League of Women Voters Civic Contribution Award (2003)
- Democrat of the Year, Humboldt County (1996)
- Woman of Achievement Award, American Association of University Women
- Board member, Headwaters Fund (2004-present)
- Arcata City Council member 1972 to 1980, Mayor 1974-1978
- Board member/president, Arcata Downtown Business Community's Main Street Program (1987-2002)
- Safe public streets, parks and trails
- Additional affordable housing
- Ombudsperson for City Hall
- Occupation: Senior Biologist Specialist, Calif. Dept. of Fish and Game
- Arcata City Councilmember 2005-current (special election)
- More than 20 years working in and with state and local governments and interest groups in coastal and natural resource management
- Intermittent: Coach for a multitude of youth soccer camps and teams over 30 years
- Advisory board member, Redwood Regional Watershed Center (2003-current)
- Advisory board member, Making Headway, a support organization for brain injury recovery and family support. (2006-current)
- BS in Geography and Natural Resources Planning and Interpretation from Humboldt State University
Michael Louis Winkler
- Form an open space regional park district to fund and support management of open space and recreational lands in Arcata's north bay area.
- Develop a Youth Master Plan, Youth Commission to advise the City Council, and an Arcata Ambassador Program.
- Expand partnership opportunities with Humboldt State University on a host of issues.
- Occupation: Energy Research Engineer
- Schatz Energy Research Center 1997-Present
- B.S. Environmental Resources Engineering, HSU, Phi Beta Kappa, 2002
- Member, City of Arcata Planning Commission, 2000-Present
- Member, City of Arcata Energy Committee, 1998-2000
- HSU Campus Center for Appropriate Technology (CCAT) Steering Committee, 2000-Present
- Founder of HSU 100% Recycled Paper Program
- "Tough Love" approach for dealing with the homeless
- Focus on local services and infrastructure
- Smart Growth, Renewable Energy and Sustainability
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Owner/Operator of a local construction business
- Chair of the Redwood Coast Energy Authority
- Chair of the Humboldt Waste Management Authority
- Vice-Chair of the Humboldt County Association of Governments
- Member of the Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant Community Advisory Board
Dana L. Quillman
- Community energy and food independence.
- Social, economic, and political justice.
- Public comfort and safety.
- Occupation: Massage Therapist
- Exercise Instructor
Jeffrey Dean Schwartz
- Arcata Plaza/Homeless issues - Moving and expanding Arcata Services Center to include a night shelter. Pay public restroom with attendant.
- Finding additional funding for Arcata Police Department that will allow for a constant foot patrol presence on plaza as needed.
- Finding ways to create more affordable owner-occupied housing and low interest loans for start up self-employment/small business.
- Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
- Juris Doctor
- M.S. Degree Columbia University
- Prosecuting Attorney Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Services Team-- C.A.S.T.
- Round Up For Arcata Beautification and Infrastructure Fund: Encourages all consumers to round-up purchases to the next dollar.
- The New Economy: Economic Revitalization of Arcata's Economy Through Environmental Technology
- Zero Emission Car Share Program; Mixed Curbside Recycling; Zero Emission City Shuttle Service; Affordable Car-Free Housing Close To The Plaza
- Occupation: Legislative Advocate/Farmer
- Political Activist for 30+ Years
- Legislative Advocate at California's Capitol for 15 Years
- Arcatan for 9 Years
- Legal & Conceptual Architect (Originator) of Prop. 215's Local Governmental Implementation Process
- Legislative Poster-person & Primary Legislative Advocate, 1992 Reform of Unconstitutional State (Drug-War) Asset-Forfeiture Law
- Currently a Legislative Advocate in Policy Areas of Housing, Legal Processes, and Prop. 215 Implementation
Nick "Eeyore" Page
- Arcata's housing crisis demands new and creative policies, a formal citizens' advisory committee on housing and enactment of a rent control ordinance.
- Economic development strategy should include innovative enterprise collaborations with HSU, evolving tourism agenda, improved small-business outreach.
- Strive to advance local political consensus and cooperation by helping to improve key qualities of civic dialogue, vision, focus and understanding.
- Occupation: Circus Manager
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
League of Women Voters Candidates Forum
Wednesday, October 11, 7-9 P.M. KEET TV Channel 13
Viewers may phone in questions to (707) 445-0811
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.