(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: Businessman/Educator
- Elected Member, Democratic National Committee
- Senior Vice President, eBay
- Office of Economic Development, City of SanJose
- Teacher, Stanford Business School
- Department of Energy, Carter Administration
- Vice Chair, California Democratic Party
- Improve California's economy. The only candidate with the right combination of experience.
- Strengthen public education. Endorsed by California Teachers Association.
- Build California's infrastructure for the future. Endorsed by CA NOW and the League of Conservation Voters.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: California State Senator
- Fiscal Conservative, Experienced Tax Cutter
- Led the Effort to Cut the Car Tax
- Authored Bureaucracy Reduction and Closure Commission Act
- Author of California's Current Death Penalty Law
- Former Director of Economic and Regulatory Affairs, Claremont Institute
- Former Director of the Center for the Taxpayer
- Take on wasteful government bureaucrats, corrupt politicians, and big-dollar contributions through true arcoss the board competitive bidding.
- Fight waste and fraud in either Republican or Democratic Administrations.
- Eliminate state's wasteful spending through regular performance audits.
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Financial Systems Consultant
- Green Party County Council, Alameda County, 1992-94
- Editor of Green Party newspapers
- 25 years experience in for-profit and non-profit finance
- Active in global economic justice, voluntary simplicity, military-to-civilian economy, community building, and environmental issues
- B.A. Wayne State University, Detroit,MI
- M.Ed. Antioch University
J. Carlos Aguirre
- Follow The Money and Report To The Boss. The State Controller's boss is the public.
- Reduce taxes, find the money drains, and give California the services we pay for.
- Create a winning formula for the distribution of California's wealth.
(This candidate has not responded to Smart Voter)
Ernest F. Vance
- Party: Natural Law
- Occupation: Entrepreneur/Businessman
- Phone: 714-258-7678; Addr: 237 Shorebreaker Drive, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677; Email: email@example.com
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Retired Administrator
- BA in Psychology
- MA in Education
- PhD in Pastoral Psychology
- Treasurer of Sac. Cty. AIP
- Treasurer of Sac. NRA Council
- Treasurer of my local church
- To assure that all bills paid by CA are legal and Constitutional
- To attempt to see that CA's monies are used as designated
- Attempt to establish a State Grand Jury to prosecute wrong-doers
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
Easy Reading Voter Guide
Free Airtime Project
News and Analysis
- All candidates
- overview of responsibilities, statements of candidates
KQED-FM San Francisco Public Radio
KCRW Santa Monica Public Radio
Orange County Register
The Press Democract (Santa Rosa)
San Diego Tribune
San Francisco Chronicle
San Mateo County Times
California Voter Foundation
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.