Los Angeles County, CA
March 3, 2009 Election
- Along with her fellow Board Members, Angela worked tirelessly to pass Measure J, a $3.5 billion bond measure that will improve our community college campuses through major investments in new building construction with no new taxes.
- Angela knew that passage of Measure J meant thousands of new job opportunities in our communities. She knew it meant high-tech classrooms for students seeking college degrees.
- Angela knew Measure J meant expanded job training programs for adults seeking a second chance in a new career. Angela campaigned throughout our community for Yes on Measure J.
- Angela has been a strong advocate for diversifying the list of approved community college building contractors for Proposition A/AA and Measure J bond construction projects.
- Angela's efforts have given a wider array of small, emerging, local, disadvantaged and disabled veteran construction and architectural firms and their workers, an opportunity to compete for business contracts that offer good paying jobs that are paid for with bond money you approved.
- Angela asked community college building contractors and construction project managers to create student internships to enable student workers to receive on-the-job experience and important exposure to architecture and building trades while they complete their career education studies.
- Angela worked to boost student outreach to low-income and disadvantaged students, particularly African-American and Latino males, as outlined in the Los Angeles Community College District's 5-Year Strategic Plan.
- Angela advocated for programs designed to help these students fully understand the benefits of higher education and the cost savings they can achieve by attending a community college and the financial aid options available to them.
- Angela has strenuously opposed cuts in community college funding. She has fought hard against proposed increases in student college fees.
- Angela has consistently fought to improve student access and broaden workforce and career development programs in our community colleges.
- Angela has been a strong voice for expanding innovative programs, such as "Weekend Campus", online (distance learning) instruction and accelerated transfer to help community colleges meet student needs.
- Angela Reddock... she's `Working For You' on the L.A. Community College District Board Of Trustees
Position Paper 3
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
March 2009 Home (Ballot Lookup)
|| About Smart Voter
Created from information supplied by the candidate: February 18, 2009 11:59
Smart Voter <http://www.smartvoter.org/>
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund.
The League of Women Voters neither supports nor
opposes candidates for public office or political parties.