- Occupation: Associate Justice
- Associate Justice, Court of Appeal for the Third Appellate District since 1994. Justice Pro Tempore of the California Supreme Court in 2002.
- Judge of the Sacramento Superior Court from 1989-1994. Judge of the Sacramento Municipal Court from 1985-1989.
- Assistant United States Attorney from 1982-1985, prosecuted fraud and public corruption.
- Professor of Law, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law from 1975 to 1982.
- Army lawyer in the California Army National Guard from 1975-1993, (major to brigadier general)
- Army officer from 1963-1975, served in the Republic of Viet Nam from 1966-1967 (second lieutenant to major)