- Occupation: California State Insurance Commissioner
- Issued a comprehensive report on the state of health care in California, "Priced Out: The Crisis in California Health Care"
- 1995, Appointed by President Bill Clinton to the number two position in the U.S. Department of the Interior, Deputy Secretary
- Elected to the California State Assembly in 1974 and the State Senate in 1976
- Received MBA from Harvard Business School
- Peace Corps volunteer in Ethiopia with wife, Patti
- Graduate of UC Berkeley where he was an All-Conference football player and champion wrestler