(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: State Lawmaker
- Majority Leader of the California Assembly
- Former President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- Recently honored by Handgun Control Inc, the Senior Action Network, California Consumer Federation and Children's Advocacy Institute
- Modernize California's Voting Systems and Implement my Bill Proposition 41 to do away with punch-card voting machines
- Increase Voter Turnout, Registration, and Participation
- Ensure that Voter's Private Voter Information Stays Private
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Businessman
- PhD in Constitutional Law
- Former State Assemblyman - 34th District
- 100% Participation with 0% Tolerance of Fraud
- Expand C.I.V.I.C.S. Program into the elementary schools of CA
- Modernize California's Voting Technology
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Author/Historian
- Ph.D in United States history, Northwestern Univ.
- Partner, Archaeological/Historical Consultants
- Member, National Writers Union, Local 3
- Author of Imperial Brain Trust and The Carter Presidency and Beyond
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Ethiopia 1967-1969
- Former History Professor, University of Illinois, San Francisco State University and Sonoma State University
Gail K. Lightfoot
- Corruption free politics through public financing of political campaigns
- Represent people in proportion to their voting strength through Proportional Representation and Instant Runoff Voting
- Corporate Charter Reform: establish a corporate code of conduct and periodic review and renewal of corporate charters
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Retired Registered Nurse
- Education: Nursing, Early Childhood Education
- Chair, Libertarian Party of California, 1990, 1995-96
- Native Californian, 7 years in Kodiak, Alaska (1945-1952)
- RN, Public Health Nurse
- Local Chapter President, American Assoc. Critical Care Nurses, 1975
- ICU-CCU, ER, IV, MICU certificated
Louise Marie Allison
- Increase voter awareness of choices
- Develop very user friendly voting merials
- Perfect Absentee and Internet Voting and offer as options to voters
- Party: Natural Law
- Occupation: Teacher/Administrator
- BFA, Maharishi University of Management
- Certified Insructor, Transcendental Meditation program
- Director, Claremont Transcendental Meditation program
- County Central Committee, Natural Law Party
- Former State Chair, Natural Law Party of California
- Former State Chair, Natural Law Party of Virginia
Edward C. Noonan
- My priority is to create long-overdue election/campaign reforms to guarantee every candidate's voice is heard and every vote counts.
- I will create a peace-keeping task force to research and implement programs to prevent terrorism/violence and promote harmony/understanding.
- The creativity of our citizens is our greatest resource. I will promote proven educational innovations to develop students' full potential.
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Computer Store Owner
- AIP Central Committee Chairman
- AIP State Central Committee Member
- Investigate corrupt arrests of citizens being arrested for Registering Voters to Vote
- Promote Right to Life agenda
- Promote 2nd Amendment Rights
- Party: Reform
- Occupation: Educator/Technology Coordinator
- Electronic degree
- Designated Subjects Teaching Credential
- Past State Chair of the Reform Party of California
- Ran for Congress and Secretary of State in past years
- Ballot Statements for all elected offices including US Congress
- Not repeat the abuse of power of this office to meddle with the democratic process
- Make sure interested parties like the League of Women Voters, Common cause and AARP are informed in time to respond to sneak attacks like Prop 34
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
Easy Reading Voter Guide
Free Airtime Project
News and Analysis
- All candidates
- overview of responsibilities, statements of candidates
KQED-FM San Francisco Public Radio 88.5
KCRW Santa Monica Public Radio
Orange County Register
The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa)
San Francisco Chronicle
California Voter Foundation
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.