(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Carole V. Migden
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: California State Assemblymember
- San Francisco County Supervisor 1991-96
- Democratic National Committee Member
- Former Chair of San Francisco Democratic Party
- Education: BA Adelphi University, MA Psychology Sonoma State University
Mark S. Bendick
- To fairly administer California's tax system and collect every cent of revenue that is due, so that important services continue to be funded.
- Increase online services at the Board of Equalization so that information, filings and applications are readily available.
- Demystify the BOE to the public so that its members are more accountable.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Business Tax Manager
- Tax Manager for Fortune 500 Software Mfr.
- Former Board of Equalization (BOE) Tax Auditor
- Taxpayers Advocate
- Certified Public Accountant
- B.S. Accounting, Cum Laude
Elizabeth C. Brierly
- Ensure that California Tax Policy is Fair and Accurate.
- Protect CA Businesses from the perils of the forthcoming National Sales Tax System, which is being created by the SSTP Group.
- Improve the business tax audit process so that all businesses can meet their tax compliance responsibilities.
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Business Analyst
- B.S. Business Admin. from San Jose State University
- MBA in Finance from Santa Clara University
- Eighteen years' experience in field of process analysis: business systems analysis, SQC, and continuous process improvement
- Board member, Silicon Valley Taxpayers' Association
- Active in Libertarian Party since 1994
- Third generation Californian; San Jose home owner since 1991
- Hold Calif. politicians accountable: Immediate audit of Calif.'s taxation systems, with annual reviews
- Merge Franchise Tax Board with Board of Equalization; one state tax bureaucracy is sufficient. Save taxpayers money.
- Tighten up workings of the resultant single taxation agency. Slash costs, and thus contribute to terminating California's budget crisis.
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
Board of Equalization
Free Airtime Project
News and Analysis
San Francisco Chronicle
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.