(Vote Yes or No for Each)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Sandra L. Margulies
77.2% Yes votes ......
22.8% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice
- Associate Justice, First District Court of Appeal, since 2002
- Judge of the Superior Court, County of Alameda, 1988-2002
- Judge of the Municipal Court, San Leandro-Hayward Judicial District, 1985-1988
- Deputy District Attorney, Alameda County District Attorney's Office, 1977-1985
- Graudate of Southwestern University School of Law, J.D. and University of California at Los Angeles, B.A.-History
James J. Marchiano
- Maintain a fair, impartial, and independent judiciary
- Treat all persons before the court with courtesy and respect
- Follow and uphold the rule of law
76.0% Yes votes ......
24.0% No votes
- Occupation: Presiding Justice
- Assoc.Justice 1998 - 2002. Superior Court of Contra Costa County 1988-1998: civil and criminal trials judge, mediation coordinator.
- Partner in law firms until 1988: civil litigation. Former Adjunct Professor at Hastings College of the Law. J.D., U.C.'s Boalt Hall School of Law.
William D. Stein
- Treat all persons fairly and impartially under the law.
- Render understandable decisions that are supported by the law.
- Increase the public's understanding of our judicial process.
74.5% Yes votes ......
25.5% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice since 1988
- Superior and Municipal Court Judge 1984 - 1988
- California Attorney General's office 1965 - 1984
- Judge Advocate General, Naval Reserve 1970 - 1984
- Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 1965
- San Francisco State University, B.A. 1962
- Dispense equal justice under law to every litigant.
- Remain a fair, impartial and independent judge.
- Apply the law with common sense and understanding
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
- Select "1st Appellate District" in the pulldown and click on "See Opinions".
- Scroll down to "Division 1 Justices" and click on candidate's name.
League of Women Voters of California
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- Judges, who appointed them, political party
- from the Sacramento Republican Party